What do I do when I have a dilemma? Come to my fellow bloggers/friends of course!
No, we haven't decided on a first name... and I'm not really trying to think of specific middle names. My dilemma is whether or not to give our baby a middle name at all!
Here's the background: My Grandma doesn't have a middle name, nor does my Mom or any of her sisters, nor do I or my sister.
So... Do I stick with tradition and go without, or break the cycle and go with?
Well since nobody in my family has a middle name and either do my children, I vote NO middle name. What is the point? I've never heard a good answer to that question.
ReplyDeleteI love my middle name. I always have. I think it's unkind to not give a middle name when you have a weird/hard to pronounce last name as it is expected to become the middle name one she's married. Christensen is such a nice name, that I'm sure she wouldn't mind. Unless she marries a guy with a last name like Christopherson, and then she'll be ______ Christensen Christopherson. I say give her one... and if you only have one girl you might you sad that you only ever got to pick out one girl name.
ReplyDeleteOhh ....this is a tuffy! Maybe you should have some options picked out and when she's born and you finally decide on a name then maybe it will hit you whether or not she should have a middle name. I always loved having my middle name. And it definitely comes in handy when your angry. I could always tell when my parents were mad, because they would use my middle name! :)
ReplyDeleteI love my middle name: Lynn. It was my grandmother's, mom's, and little sister's, and now it's Dora's..
ReplyDeleteI say go for a middle name if it fits well between the first and last name and if it means something or after someone :)
ReplyDeleteI say... no middle name. I never had one until I got married and I always thought it was cool to only have a first and last name. No one would believe me, they thought I was trying to withhold a stupid middle name and I didn't want to tell them. I thought it was fun. Now that I am married and get to still hold on to my maiden name. I vote NO middle name.
ReplyDeleteYa, I did forget to mention that I did like NOT having a middle name for that same reason Emily...hmmm
ReplyDeleteI know tradition is cool, but go with your gut and whatever you think your baby would like.
ReplyDeleteWell...I think you should wait until you decide on a first name AND wait until she's born to decide for sure on the middle name. There might be some names that just NEED a middle name, you know? Personally, I never minded not having a middle name and they seem kind of pointless. A lot of times people's middle names are either embarassing or just bland. Like "Ann" (lol--Ashley Ann).
ReplyDeleteI only like middle names with meaning, like after someone important in your life. My middle name is Joy same as my Gma's middle. My two oldest nieces have the same middle name too, I like to think its after me. What's even cuter my big bro just had their last baby a third girl so they gave her a boy middle name after my bro, zoe scott....the closest thing they will have to a boy. TMI, but tradition is cool... But I don't know too many peeps outside of Utah that don't have middle names.having a middle name is like a personal secret that only someone who knows you really well knows... Kind of intimate and secret.
ReplyDeleteI love my middle name, Evelyn, but like it's been said before, it's hardly ever used. I honestly think the middle name is only used to determine who the person really is sometimes... like if two people were named Sarah Christensen, the middle name would determine who they are... but if you're going with a unique first name, then the middle name has no use... because seriously, how many Scotlyn Christensen's have you met in your lifetime?
ReplyDeleteThis was totally my dilema with Audrey. I don't have a middle name, my mom doesn't, my sister doesn't, my sister didn't give any of her girls middle names, etc. So if I gave Audrey a middle name I would be the only one in my family breaking tradition. I hated not having a middle name growing up, but loved it when I kept my maiden name when I got married. I don't have much advice for you about whether you should or not. I think that has to be between you and Braden, but just decide BEFORE you go to the hospital to have the baby. I didn't decide ahead of time because there wasn't really a family name that we both liked for a middle name (and I figured it had to be a meaningful name - like a family name - or there was no point in breaking tradition for just another name, if that makes sense), so I thought she just wouldn't have a middle name and then the day she was born we were told about a name we didn't know about before that we both liked and then I had to decide in the hospital if she should or shouldn't have a middle name. IT WAS HORRIBLE! Worse than labor!! Really it was - your hormones are just all over the place and it just isn't the place to be making big decisions like that in my opinion. So just decide ahead of time. We did break tradition and give Audrey a middle name (after her great grandmother) and it took me a LONG time to feel OK about the decision...but I love that she has one now and I figure this way she can decide for herself when she marries if she wants to keep her maiden name or her middle name or both. It will be her choice - but growing up she has the connection to a family member that she is named after too. Plus I call her by her full name all the time, so we use it quite a bit too. So in the end I'm glad we did give her a middle name. But it was a really hard decision to make. Good Luck!
ReplyDelete